Real Weird Blog
A fun blog about real life and the real weird things we encounter.

Hi visitors! I am so happy to have you here. Please have a look around and let me know what you like or don't like :/ Leave a comment or send me an email! I love to hear from my readers.

Elf on the Shelf Non-Religious Option?


Sorry this one is a bit late. I had been too lazy to take a picture for this post.

Being an Atheist, it is important for me not to include anything about Jesus in our Holiday celebrations. She is much to young to be able to understand that type of information. Because of this I normally pre-read any holiday books before choosing them to read to our 2 year old. Unfortunately, I did not do this with the Elf on the Shelf book. On page one page there was a line that read "I won't get to tell him that you've said your prayers". We decided to take that part out and change the words to "I won't get to tell him that you've said your pleases and thank yous". As you can see I used my new label maker to make it appear seamless. ;)


Another thing I didn't really like about the book was that the elf seems like a tattle tale. We chose to have our elf be more of a sneaky jokester, similar to a leprechaun. Hopefully by next year I can find a better book to introduce Sparkly!

What do you like or don't like about the Elf on the Shelf? Have any great Elf on the Shelf activities to share? Put it all in the comments!


3 comments :

  1. Odd, I dont really know the story behind this elf on the shelf, it was something my parents and all did when I was a kid, but there never any book to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! If only I had a label maker......
    I like this post and agree with your observations. We named ours Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG label maker is super awesome!

      Delete